Just Call Me Julia...

I have to admit that I have spent a great deal of my summer struggling to settle into a routine.  I thought that moving back home was going to be this great adventure, an opportunity to spend time with friends and family I hadn't had the opportunity to be around for the last few years.  But let's be honest.  Nobody stays the same for four years.  Especially not me.  But I was still surprised when I got back and experienced that awkward feeling that you get when you realize you don't really fit where you did before.  So since the first of June, I have been trying to find some way that would make me feel more at home.  Golf? Nah.  The bar scene?  Not so much.  Exercise? Ehhhh sort of.  Cooking? YEAH RIGHT.

For those of you who have ever had the displeasure of being stuck in a kitchen with me, you can attest to the fact that, quite simply: I can't cook.  I have mastered the microwave and the workings of Easy Mac, but other than that, all things culinary seem to be lost on me.  But a few weeks ago, my mother suggested that I learn how to cook.  "It might give you something to do," she said.  I huffed and puffed through that first lesson...  Why do I have to wait a full 30 minutes for this rice to cook?  They make the 90-second ready-to-serve helpings for a reason. 

But then I started paying attention and I realized that I actually enjoy it.  Sure, I got a little stressed when I put way too much habanero cheddar into the taco meat, but you win some, you lose some, right?  I now find myself looking forward to dinnertime because I get to find something new to cook.  Much to my surprise, even my parents have taken that leap and tasted my meals.  Dad even said, "You actually made this?" as he went up for seconds of my shrimp pasta last week.

I have to admit that life after college hasn't exactly started out the way I thought it would, but it's all about having something to work towards. Next up?  Swordfish steaks, grilled asparagus and zucchini bread!

Okay, so maybe you shouldn't call me Julia Child just yet, but I am happy to report that I'm well on my way.

Comments

  1. wow miss jilly! I am so excited you like cooking now! We need to share recipes :) You are so domestic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for finding something like cooking to keep you sane! Next time I'm in Indy, I plan on tasting some of your culinary masterpieces :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment