Everybody Believes In Something

So I have been thinking and thinking and thinking over the last few weeks, trying to figure out how to simplify my thoughts into something worth writing about.  I thought about friends (of course) and family and school and work and happiness and the benefits of endorphins.  I considered writing about the colors of fall or about the perks of being an older sister (you'd be surprised how proud a well-played game or an A on a Portuguese exam can make me :).  All of these things were great ideas, if I do say so myself, and I'm sure I'll get to those topics later on.  But today on my lunch break I found myself remembering a creative writing class during my sophomore year when we were instructed to write an essay about what we believed in.  The premise:  write about anything.  We could focus on tangible topics like cheese or designer jeans or football teams... Or we could choose to write about the less provable things.  You know, things like love or fear or happiness or faith.

The last time I sat down and really thought through what I believed in, I was nineteen years old.  SO I have decided to return to the subject.  I figure it never hurts for a person to re-evaluate every now and then and while I attempt to figure out my stance on so many things, I'd like to focus on those things that I absolutely know to be true.  So here goes nothing...

"This I Believe"

I believe in LOVE. Both the kind that lifts you up and makes you vulnerable, and the sturdy kind that comes with family.  I definitely believe in second chances, but only two.  Any more than that is just asking for trouble.  I believe in love that lasts...  The kind of relationships you still celebrate 26 years later, the way my parents are preparing to do this November.  I believe in the happy kind of love that comes with close friends and a glass of wine or an email from halfway around the world.  While I believe that love isn't always unconditional, there are lessons to be learned when such love is lost.  But along with believing in love and all it's forms, I believe in walking away.  Love can turn ugly and when it does, I believe that sometimes it really is best to cut your losses and run.   Life's too short.

I believe in INDEPENDENCE.  I believe that some of the most important lessons a girl can learn are when she is totally and completely on her own.  It's not easy feeling lonely but sometimes it's the only way to figure out who you are and what you're made of.

I believe in CHANGE.  (And no, not in the political way.)  But seriously...I truly believe that the only way to get to where you're going is to push your limits.  I have found that in testing boundaries, both personally and geographically, change can make all the difference.  There's nothing wrong with staying in the same place...  We all know that change occurs no matter where we are.  But I believe that an occasional change in scenery can often provide us with the kind of perspective we've been looking for. 

I believe in FAITH.  While most of my friends can attest to the fact that I am constantly questioning and most certainly skeptical when it comes to most things religiously organized, I have to admit that out of all the intangibles to believe in in this world, faith is probably one of the most true.  It doesn't matter who you believe in or where you go to pray, some of the most incredible things I've ever heard have leaned on little else but faith.  I believe that religion has an incredible power to both save and destroy the world, propagating love and goodness but also threatening with narrow-mindedness and fear.  I believe that unless you're a good person, you love yourself, and you treat others with as much respect as you can, then no amount of church on Sundays or quoting the Bible is going save you.

I believe in LOTS OF THINGS.  Obviously I believe in plenty of other things...  that Frank's Red Hot sauce goes perfectly with everything except ice cream.  I believe that sunscreen is absolutely essential should I ever spend more than five minutes outside.  That this world is an awfully lonely place without a friend to share it with is an understatement.  I believe my grandpa is the happiest person I know and that I'm one of the luckiest girls in the world to have the opportunity to spend time with my family post-graduation.  I absolutely, positively believe in retail therapy.  That wine is the best relaxer and laughter is the best medicine.  I believe that I will never be too old to dance around my room to Taylor Swift, and no matter how many times I try to prove them wrong, after 23 years my parents still know what's best.

That's all I've got for now.  But before you get back to whatever it is you do on a Tuesday afternoon, I encourage everyone to think about who or what it is you believe in.  It may surprise you to find that you believe in more than you thought and give you that little boost you need to make it through the rest of the week. :)

Comments