Here's To You, Dad

There are only 23 minutes left of Father's Day 2011. I'm not sure how the rest of you choose to celebrate this holiday, but in our house, Fathers Day has always been something relatively low-key. Dinner, a movie, spending the weekend at the lake - it's a day more focused on family as a whole more than anything else. But as I'm laying here trying to go to sleep, I can't stop thinking about how every single mothers day or fathers day that comes an goes makes me realize more and more just how unbelievably lucky I really am. 

When I first moved home, I was embarrassed to admit that I was working for my dad. I was convinced that everyone thought less of me somehow.  That by working for him, I wasn't going to get any recognition for my abilities. Sure, I'm sure some people easily assumed that the only reason I was here was because of my relationship to the boss.  I have to admit it has been pretty fun proving to those same people that I am in fact capable completely on my own merit.  But out of everything I have gained through this experience, I think the most important has been a profound respect for my dad... Both who he is as a salesman and an employer, and who he is as a father and provider for our family.

I am not sure I will ever be able to fully express just how proud I am to call myself Craig & Diane's daughter.  But on a day like today, I would just like to take the opportunity to say "THANK YOU" to the best man I know.   My dad is my friend.  He's the person I can call to pout to when I'm having a crappy day, he's the person who makes me feel better when I'm convinced I'm wearing the most hideous outfit on the planet.  He has taught me about the stock market and how to invest, how to keep a budget (through trial and error, but still).  He's the person I always look forward to seeing when I get to the office every day.  He has shown me just how rewarding it is to work hard, and how fulfilling it can be when you're doing something you love.  He has loved my mom to an amazing degree, and because of that, I refuse to settle.  He is fun, he's goofy, and most importantly, even when he's not, he's always on my side.  I'm not sure I could ask for a better dad.  And for that, I will be forever grateful.

So here's to you, Dad.  Happy Father's Day.

Comments