Okay, I Take It Back

In regards to one of my posts last week, So You Had A Bad Day, I would just like to take this opportunity to say NEVERMIND.  Don't get me wrong... I still believe it's important to remember all the things we have to be grateful for.  And it's still true that there are people in this world who are dealt far worse hands than most-- so for all intents and purposes I think that sometimes what I said before is still true.   But I'd like to call attention to those bad days that leave us wanting to punch something, or perhaps cause us to snarl at the man who smiled the wrong way in the checkout line.  I think there is this assumption among a lot of us, myself included, that having a bad day is a travesty.  There are so many fantastic things going on in the world to look at with wonder and awe... right?  So how can we possibly let ourselves detract from those things by allowing a foul mood to get the best of us?


FACT:   It's incredibly healthy to allow yourself to have a bad day. 

We've all been there.  You had a stressful day at work.  You locked yourself out in 95-degree heat.  After a morning full of disappointments, you trip over your own feet and dump an entire plate of lunch across your living room floor.  Hey, it happens.  But since when is it a crime to wallow a little bit in the annoyance of it all?  Just because there are starving children in India doesn't mean you don't get to be angry when some thug steals your car.  You're not a bad person for that.  Obviously if you're in a position to help some of those starving kids, it's important to do so, but that doesn't make your anger or frustration any less legitimate in the heat of that moment.

I am so over going along with the expectation that we have to be bubbly and happy and smiling ALL the time.  It's not natural. So when you find yourself having a crappy day?  Utter that four-letter word you usually try to avoid.  Find a punching bag at the gym and go to town.  Blast some Eminem on your iPod.  Maybe you want to lay in your bed and watch Oprah re-runs all afternoon.  I don't care!  The point here, my friends, is to just let it happen. Roll around in the gigantic mess that your day has turned into.  And then wake up in the morning, brush yourself off and move on.

Comments

  1. Was that Oprah comment intended for me? ;)

    "Just because there are starving children in India doesn't mean you don't get to be angry when some thug steals your car." ah, the memories.... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may or may not have had you in mind. :) But yes. The memories of the disappearing Jeep. Thank you Chicago!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment