The Doughnut Burger

You know summer is coming to an end once the Indiana State Fair closes down.  Luckily, my friend Paige and I were able to make it late last week before the vendors closed up shop for another year.  I think it's safe to say that if someone who had never been to the state of Indiana based his or her opinion of all Hoosiers off of the people who attended the fair, they would HATE Indiana.  Between the tattoos, terrible outfit choices and disgusting number of fried "delicacies," most people would turn and run in the other direction... But there's something about the state fair that is near and dear to my heart.  It's not the perusing the rows of pigs, some larger than anything I've ever seen, and adorable little baby piglets who were napping in the August evening heat. 

Actual photo of our doughnut burger.
I'm talking about FRIED FOOD.  It's like, the only acceptable time during the year to eat things that have been THAT deeply fried.  This year, Paige and I tried:  fried snickers, fried oreos (blech), fried reese's cup, a corn dog and a doughnut burger.  Yes... I did in fact just publicly admit that I ate (well, we split) a doughnut burger. For those of you who haven't been turned on to this American "delicacy", a doughnut burger is a hamburger patty, a slice of cheese, three slices of bacon sandwiched between two glazed Krispy Kremes.  Holy heart attack, right?!



In our defense, it really started out with the intent to just photograph other people eating doughnut burgers.  I mean, we're talking a multiple thousand calorie "sandwich".  But once I got up close and personal, snapping a few shots of the chef and her burgers on the griddle, all of sudden I was like, "why the hell not?!"  It all kind of happened in slow motion.  One second Paige and I are looking at each other like, "noooo we couldn't possibly..... could we?" and the next thing I knew, we were holding that burger in our hands.  The worst part of it all? 

IT. WAS. DELICIOUS.  

The obsessive calorie counter in me was screaming.  I'm pretty sure there was a point in time right before I took that first bite, that I was silently screaming "Nooooooooo! You're going to have to work out twice a day for a week!"  But another part of me, apparently the more dominant part, was salivating at the idea of trying something so weird. 

Moral of the story:  While I will probably be spending the next year clearing my arteries back out, I will say that I think there's something to be said for throwing that whole calorie counting business out the window every now and then.  Sometimes it's totally worth it.


Comments