Words To Live By

"The trick of it, she told herself, is to be courageous and bold and make a difference. Not change the world exactly, just the bit around you." 
-Emma Morley from David Nicholls' One Day

I came across this quote yesterday when my friend Kirstin posted it to her tumblr page.  It was the perfect hump day perk up. This quote was just what I needed.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I often find that when I'm looking for a little inspiration, other people usually say it better.  I have a 200-page word document on my computer full of quotes, which have been compiled over the last eight years, so some of them have the sing-songy rhyming to them that 14-year-old girls find so appealing.  Other are from books I've read and people I've talked to and random this's and that's of writers I've never met but am convinced have managed to find a way to explain my life in a way much more eloquent than I ever could.

I think it can be easy to get caught up in our own heads.  To just go and go and go and all of a sudden you realize you haven't really been living.  Some of the worst days are days when I sit back and realize that I can't remember the last time I took a deep breath.  And believe me, there's something to be said for inhaling enough to fill up your lungs.  Sometimes it's hard to juggle everything.  But as the quote says, at the end of the day, the most important thing is to be bold and courageous and spontaneous and determined.  What's the point if you're none of those things?

Photo:  http://www.theminimalists.com/scientific/
I think it's easy to look at your life and fuss that you're not as in shape as you'd like to be or you're not making as much money as you think you should.  Maybe you look at other people's lives and reprimand yourself for not feeling as happy as they are. 

Rule:  Don't ever be the person who measures your own happiness based on everyone else's.


The things that make others happy just might not do it for ya.  Most of us will probably never be the ones who come up with the next most innovative idea or write the next Harry Potter series.  We probably won't make a million dollars and then fund research that eventually cures cancer.  If you do, awesome.  But there's just as much importance in changing the world around you in smaller ways.    Whether that's sharing a part of you with the rest of the world through blogging, spending 30 minutes a day outside in the sun, reading a book, going dancing with friends, or just sitting there enjoying your family.  If you want to change your world, stop focusing on everyone else.  Find your passion and share it.  I guarantee you that the world will be a better place because of it. 

Comments