SEE YA, Cansah

Cancer free! Cancer free! Cancer free!

After three months of bouncing back in her usual fabulous fashion, my mom had her first round of scans and blood tests earlier this week to get an idea of just how effective her surgery was.  And by some amazing stroke of luck, her results are in!  The cancer hasn't come back.  She still has to go through these tests every few months, but holy wow.  Talk about breathing easier.

It has been said that you never know what you're capable of withstanding until you have no other option.  And after the summer that we had, I can say with absolute certainty that it's true.  I remember back in May, I went to dinner with Paige one night and we were both buzzing with excitement.  We had both just been out on great dates, were looking forward to warmer weather and doing fun things outside and were absolutely certain that this summer was going to be great.  "I just have that feeling," we both said.  That honestly seems like a lifetime ago.

Before last summer, I would have sworn I'd unravel in a crisis like that.  I wouldn't know what to hold on to or how to act and I would easily fall apart.  But since that Friday in July, I have realized that quite the opposite happened.  We banded together, kept a positive outlook and leaned on our loved ones and friends.  I don't know how, but somehow we made it through.  From start to finish, our mom's cancer ordeal lasted somewhere around six or seven weeks.  From initial diagnosis, to surgery, to the news that it had affected some but not all of her lymphnodes, to the next appointment when they told us they were fairly certain they had gotten everything out.  And now we're here with the first clean bill of health.  I genuinely don't know how we got so lucky.  SO thank you so much to all of you who were there with kind words, positive thoughts and prayers.  It honestly means so much to all of us.

I'm not really the praying type.  I never have been.  But I just have to sit back and marvel at the way things work out.  I feel SO thankful. All I know for certain is that thanks to this summer and things like this, there's no way we will ever be able to look at life the same way.  Trivial spats with our parents about what we wear or where we want to go or things like that just don't matter anymore.  Let's be serious, what's the point in compromising the time you spend with the people you love?  The small stuff isn't worth sweating over.  When you realize that your loved ones are never as invincible as you thought, you really start to appreciate the seemingly insignificant things. It turns out, those are the only things that count. 

Comments

  1. YEA!!! I am so happy for you, your MOM, your family. Blessings to you for each new day! I am very happy for you - Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment