JOB 23: 1-9, 16-17

I've never been a person who feels connection to the Bible.  Not in an "I hate religion" sort of way.  I'm just a questioner by nature, and the Bible has never really been a source of understanding or comfort for me.  I've always felt closest to God and all of that in much smaller, more simple things.  A song at the perfect moment, a pretty sunset, that stirring feeling you get when you're standing on the beach and looking up at the stars at night...

But tonight, I took Norm for a walk after coming home from hot yoga, and found myself thinking about Job 23:1-9, 16-17. 

Last week, my friend Chastity handed me a church pamphlet from Sunday's mass, with this scripture verse circled in marker.  For a person who uses words to work through things, it's been very difficult trying to put words to how I've been feeling lately.  Kind of like walking around with two left feet, I guess.  But re-reading this tonight helped in a way that even the hot-yoga-induced endorphins couldn't...


1 Then Job answered and said: 2 "Even today my complaint is bitter; My hand is listless because of my groaning. 3 Oh, that I knew where I might find Him, That I might come to His seat! 4 I would present my case before Him, And fill my mouth with arguments. 5 I would know the words which He would answer me, And understand what He would say to me. 6 Would He contend with me in His great power? No! But He would take note of me. 7 There the upright could reason with Him, And I would be delivered forever from my Judge. 8 "Look, I go forward, but He is not there, And backward, but I cannot perceive Him; 9 When He works on the left hand, I cannot behold Him; When He turns to the right hand, I cannot see Him.     
16 For God made my heart weak, And the Almighty terrifies me; 17 Because I was not cut off from the presence of darkness, And He did not hide deep darkness from my face.


Comments