When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be...

Last night I got to talking to my dad about what I wanted to do next.  All I could say was "I have no idea."  I started rattling off a list of six or seven things that I can see myself doing in the near future.  And then I laughed because, list or no list, I am not any closer to figuring out what next is going to mean.

When I was six years old I remember going into the first grade convinced that I was going to become a teacher.  I loved chalk boards and the cardboard cutouts taped all around the room.  I can still remember staring at the silver and turquoise rings Mrs. Pliley wore on all ten of her fingers when she tried to teach me math.  But then one day (I can't remember if it was fall or spring) but one of the boys in my class got sick right before the afternoon bell rang.  And just like that, while staring at a pile of puke, I decided I would never be a teacher because teachers had to clean up throw up.

It sounds a bit ridiculous, but I've just been thinking about careers and futures and all of that lately and I can't help but laugh... Mostly because here I am, as grown up as a grownup can be, and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life.  Now, the reality of being a grownup is just about as elusive as trying to capture sunshine in a jar.

I have decided that my main task this week is to make a list of all the ideas and possibilities I have for what I want to be when I grow up.  Whether it's traveling, event planning, studying to be a speech pathologist or writing on the coast of somewhere sunny and beautiful, I'm going to jot it down.  And then I'm going to research...  And try to imagine my life in terms of what it means to be each of those things.  I figure I have to lean more towards one thing or another, right?

Ahhhhh... fingers crossed.

Comments